Organized in 1792 this church is referred to as the mother church of Baptist in York County, SC and Mecklenburg County, NC. The name was chosen because of a huge six foot flint rock outcropping located at the entrance to the church. From its founding until the 1820s the church extended its ministry to the Catawba Indian tribes located nearby. Until the end of the Civil War the congregation also included slaves.
The original church, as well as the second one built in 1811, was constructed of logs. In 1828 the church was enclosed in a frame construction. As the congregation grew a new church was built in 1855 and again replaced in 1908 by the present structure.
The adjacent cemetery contains graves of over 200 soldiers from all wars with over half of these being veterans of the Civil War.