The main building, built in 1841, contains the Daughters of the Confederacy Museum. The hall was the commercial center of Charleston for many years and served as a recruiting station during the Civil War. A National Historic Landmark, and considered one of Charleston’s best examples of Greek Revival-style architecture, the building was meticulously restored to its former grandeur. The museum contains a reference library, and such exhibits as cannons, uniforms, swords, flags and other artifacts of the Confederacy.
The lively open-air market under the museum features everything from produce to antiques, small shops and restaurants. Hear the lilting dialect of Gullah ladies as they weave and sell handmade sweet grass baskets.