A new welcome center and museum has opened on the Cherokee Foothills National Scenic Byway (SC 11) in the restored 1870s John H. Goodwin Store. It is located just west of the National Byway’s junction with US 25 N. The building housed one of the area’s earliest post offices, Orleans (formerly Pickett’s Valley and Lima, after 1852), and was a general store for the community.
The Blythe-Goodwin-Hagood House behind the welcome center was originally built in the late 1700s. Both the house and store building are listed on the National Register for Historic Places. The house is currently being restored.