Charleston CountyMount Pleasant

Mount Pleasant is separated from Charleston, South Carolina, by the Cooper River. For many years it was primarily populated seasonally by Charleston residents wealthy enough to afford summer homes across the river from the Charleston peninsula. The population of Mount Pleasant was centered in an area of the town now known as "The Old Village." It was determined in 1928 that a bridge from the Charleston Peninsula to Mount Pleasant was needed. Spanning Town Creek and the Cooper River and crossing the uninhabited Drum Island, the two-lane Grace Memorial Bridge opened for traffic as a toll bridge 17 months later. A second and larger bridge, the Silas N. Pearman Bridge, opened in 1966, further connecting Mount Pleasant to its mother city. On July 16, 2005, the brand new, eight-lane Arthur Ravenel, Jr., bridge opened for automotive traffic, replacing the two aging bridges.