Established in 1975, this property once included in the plantation of Major General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a prominent lawyer active in South Carolina politics 1801-1815. The 4,053-acre refuge includes Pinckney Island, the largest of the refuge's islands and the only one open to public use. The refuge consists of salt marsh, tidal creeks, freshwater ponds and a wide variety of land types are found on Pinckney Island, habitats that support a diversity of bird and plant life. Studying, viewing and photographing the island's wildlife and scenery are popular activities throughout the year. Over 14 miles of trails are open to hiking and bicycling. No motorized vehicles are allowed north of the public parking lot.