Built in 1856 of pine in the typical Gothic style of the English Parish Church, tradition states this Episcopal sanctuary was used as a stable for Union horses by Gen. Kilpatrick during Sherman's 1865 march of destruction. The large baptismal font, believed to date from medieval times, was used as a watering trough. The altar window was a gift of Gov. James Hammond and was saved from Sherman's troops by being removed and buried along with the church silver. There are many famous South Carolinians buried in the adjacent cemetery: former Governor Johnson Hagood, Civil War General A.P. Butler and writer and historian William Gilmore Simms.