Highlight from History: Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital
Posted 10/3/2010 1:42:00 PM
The Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital
, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, once served Columbia’s
African American community for more than 30 years. A state-of-the-art medical facility, the hospital was the only training facility exclusively for black nurses in the Capital City.
The Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital was the result of a merger between Good Samaritan Hospital, founded in 1910, and Waverly Hospital, founded in 1924.
Before closing its doors in 1973, the 50-bed facility housed a pharmacy, X-ray room, staff dining room and laboratory. It was the first of its kind in Columbia built specifically to meet the medical needs of the area’s Black community, many of whom had been shut out of other treatment centers because of racial discrimination.
The hospital is at 2204 Hampton St. in the historic Waverly Community