Hallowed Ground: Church of the Holy Apostles
Posted 8/6/2013 9:39:00 AM
According to legend, the Church of the Holy Apostles
survived Sherman’s troops during the Civil War because it was used as a stable for their horses.
Some folks say you can still see hoof prints near the altar (of course, today, it’s under carpet, so it will have to remain a legend until the next change).
The Episcopal church was built in 1856 and counted among its members some of the most prominent families in the area.
The church’s original altar window was a gift from Gov. James Hammond. Church members buried the window along with the silver and other church valuables to keep them safe during the war.
The church’s graveyard includes former Gov. Johnson Hagood, Civil War Gen. A.P. Butler and historian William Gilmore Simms. Also buried there are two of the most powerful state lawmakers from the 20th century, Solomon Blatt and Edgar Brown.
The church was built in the Gothic style typical of English parish churches.
The bell was given to the church by James Bolen of Grahamville, who was a refugee from Sherman's army. The bell, which rings one time for each apostle, except Judas, was first tolled at Bolen's funeral.
The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1972.
The church has an active congregation and holds services each Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at 9457 Patterson St. The church is open 9 a.m.-dark each day. Admission is free. Tours can be arranged by called the church office at (803) 259-3477.