Myrtle Beach festival postponed for a year
Posted 5/20/2013 10:27:00 AM
Coastal Uncorked won’t be held this year.
The Myrtle Beach food and wine festival had been scheduled for June 3-8, but the Myrtle Beach Area Hospitality Association
postponed it until 2014 because of a recent ruling by the S.C. Department of Revenue about donated alcoholic products for non-profit events.
That ruling said that distributors could not donate alcoholic products to nonprofit events, and the Hospitality Association said it did not have enough time to reorganize the event for this year.
The festival started in May 2010, the creation of Croissants Bistro and Bakery
owner Heidi Vukov and a group of volunteers. They wanted to establish a food and wine festival to draw more people to the area and to showcase the Grand Strand. More than 4,000 people attended the first festival.
In late 2012, the Hospitality Association announced that it had taken over the festival. Vukov said then that this was the next step in the festival’s growth – going from a group of volunteers to a full time staff.
One popular event for the first two years of the festival was to make a return this year. The Tasting Trolley took participants up and down Ocean Boulevard with stops at businesses, mostly hotels, where they were treated to food and drinks. It wasn’t a part of the third Coastal Uncorked, and most of the festival was moved to a tent village at the old Pavilion site.
The next Coastal Uncorked is scheduled for June 2-7, 2014.